- Sugar – 2/3 cup
- Cornstarch – 1/4 cup
- Salt – 1/4 tsp
- Cocoa powder – 1/3 cup
- Milk – 2 1/2 cups
- Egg yolks – 4 no.
- Unsalted butter – 2 tbsp
- Vanilla extract – 1 tsp
- Place a fine-mesh sieve over a medium bowl; set aside.
- In a heavy saucepan, off heat, whisk together sugar, cornstarch, and salt.
- Whisk in the milk slowly to dissolve the cornstarch
- Add egg yolks and whisk
- Whisking constantly, cook over medium heat until the first large bubble forms and sputters. Reduce heat to low; still whisking, cook 1 minute.
- Remove from heat; immediately pour through sieve into bowl. Stir butter and vanilla into hot pudding.
- Place plastic wrap directly on surface of pudding, to avoid forming a skin on top
If you want to make chocolate pudding just add 1/3 cup of cocoa powder.
Garnish the vanilla pudding with cinnamon, chocolate flakes or any nuts that you like.
Adapted from Martha Stewart