- Flour – 1 cup
- Cold butter – 8 tbsp
- Ice water – 1/4 cup
- Salt – 1/2 tsp
- Sugar – 1/2 tsp
- Egg White – 1 (to wash)
- Apples – 4 no. (peeled, cored, diced)
- Sugar – 4 tbsp
- Cinnamon – 1 tbsp
- Clove – 4 no
- Mix the dry ingredients on a marble surface (Marble is best because it keeps the ingredients cold, and cold ingredients are the key to producing a tender, flaky pie crust.)
- Dice the butter into small pieces and cut it into the dry mixture with a fork to ensure that you make a flaky pie crust.
- Gather the pie crust mixture into the center of your preparation surface and create a well in the center of the mixture, gradually add the ice cold water
- Knead it a few times till dough is formed
- In a pan without lid, add the apples and sugar and stir to combine the sugar with apples
- Mix in the cloves and cinnamon and keep gas on simmer and cook for 30 minutes or till water is dried out and apples are soft.
- Roll out the dough in a square and in the center put the stewed apples
- Now cut the dough in horizontal lines, 1 inch away from each other
- Start folding it from the top; first the left and then the right alternating it to form the braided effect
- With a brush egg wash the pie
- Bake in oven for 20 minutes
Serve with whipped cream or vanilla ice cream.